Autumn Workshops 2018
Aug 02 2018
Ta-da! Due to its massive demand earlier this year, we've scheduled in an Introduction To Clowning every month from September til Christmas.
Ta-da! We're delighted to be running the ever popular 8-week Inner Critic Inquiry course again this season.
Ta-da! Due to demand, we're going to run the new Assembling Your Inner Cast Advanced Fools training again in October.
Ta-da! We've added a new 6-week Fools to Performance course, culminating in a double bill of shows at the Bristol Improv Theatre!
Ta-da! Holly will be donning her red nose as Clown In Residence at Bristol Museum!
INTRODUCTION TO CLOWNING
Suitable for performers or personal explorers, this weekend introduces you to the world of Holly Stoppit and the state of clown. Expertly-held and facilitated by Holly, you'll play and play and discover how physicality, breath, timing, rhythm, surprise and truth provoke laughter.
“A playful peeling away of the grown up nonsense to get to the joyous idiot within.” Participant, March 2018
“An amazing chance to connect with others in a safe space, and through that connect with yourself. Also, my cheeks have only just stopped aching from all the laughing.” Participant, July 2018
“It was a weekend full of possibility and curiosity. Beautifully and skilfully held… It enabled me to grow as a performer and challenged my perception of how I experience the relationship between performer and audience.” Participant, June 2018
Price: £150 standard / £120 low income / £90 no income (there are limited concessionary places available)
All autumn Introduction to Clowning dates:
- Saturday 22 & Sunday 23 September, closing date 24 August. Facebook event here
- Saturday 20 & Sunday 21 October, closing date 14 September. Facebook event here.
- Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 November, closing date 5 October. Facebook event here.
- Saturday 1 & Sunday 2 December, closing date 26 October. Facebook event here.
Introduction to Clowning - more info and application forms here.
THE INNER CRITIC INQUIRY
Is self-doubt, self-consciousness or fear stopping you from putting yourself out there? Want to take more risks in creativity, work and life?
Holly Stoppit uses drama, writing, artwork and discussion to help you loosen the grip of your inner critic and move towards the life you long for.
Participants from last year's course say:
“An amazing opportunity to redefine my relationship with that part of me that I have previously just wanted gone!”
“A playful weekly time to learn practical and theoretical self help. The most useful thing I've done in years, possibly ever."
“I felt safe... I loved the playing and the different funny things we did. Visualising and modelling the inner critic was very powerful for me..”
Eligibility for applications:
This course is open to anyone who feels called to participate. Usually Holly requests participants to have completed her Introduction To Clowning Weekend before taking any of her other training, but we are lifting that restriction for this course this year.
- Dates: 8 weeks starting Thursday 18 October
- Deadline for applications: Monday 14 September
- Time: 2.30-5pm or 7-9-30pm
- Venue: Bristol Improv Theatre, Clifton
- Numbers: 8 per course
Cost: £280 standard / £240 low income / £200 no income (limited number of concessionary places available)
For more info and application forms click here.
ASSEMBLING YOUR INNER CAST
It's proved so popular this summer that we're re-running Holly's new 5-day course - advanced fooling training only available to those who have already completed at least one of her 5-day fools courses.
- explore who makes up your current inner cast (masks)
- explore the mask's relationship to each other & find their optimum places on the stage
- explore the various shades of your masks, understanding how adaptable they can be & how they can serve you on stage
- try out your cast in various playing spaces, to practice rolling them out any where, any time
- get to know a small group of fools inside out.
- dates: Monday 8 - Friday 12 October
- times: 10am-5.30pm ish
- location: South Bristol
- Closing date for applications: 7 September
- Cost: £350 if you're earning enough / £300 if you're earning less
6-WEEK FOOLS TO PERFORMANCE COURSE
This course is for fools who have completed Holly Stoppit's 5-day Assembling Your Inner Cast course, or have done her 5-day Fools course and are able to attend a fast-track Assembling Your Inner Cast (AYIC) weekend on 3 & 4 November.
The course starts on Tuesday November 6th and consists of 5 Tuesday evening practice / play sessions, 2 shows at the Bristol Improv Theatre, and a guided reflection session after the show.
- Practice / reflection sessions
- 6 x Tuesday evenings: Nov 6, 13, 20 & 27, December 4 & 11
- Bristol Subud Hall, 29 Wesley Place, Clifton, Bristol BS8 2XP (top of Blackboy Hill, near the Downs)
- Show day
- Saturday 8 December
- Lunchtime – late
- Bristol Improv Theatre, 50 St Pauls Road, Clifton, Bristol BS8 1LP
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2018. More info and application form here
CLOWN IN RESIDENCE AT BRISTOL MUSEUM
... as part of Circus 250 - celebrating 250 years since the very first circus ring was pitched up in London. There have been events all across the UK, with Bristol being one of six Cities of Circus.
Bristol Museum & Art Gallery will be hosting Clowns: The eggs-hibition. Clown eggs record a painted clown’s unique identity, preserving the unwritten rule that no clown should copy another’s look. The exhibition opens 29th September.
As Clown in Residence, Holly will be offering:
Interactive Clown Performances - you'll find Holly in the museum, living in the state of clown, finding games with everyday objects and inviting you to play.
Half Term Family Play Sessions - bring your kids to play clown games and find out what happens behind the scenes at clown school.
A Laughter Yoga Workshop - simple games and fun exercises to get you laughing for absolutely no reason, leaving you feeling euphoric, relaxed and de-stressed.
Walking Tours for Grown ups - comedy tours of the exhibition, offering snippets of clown history amongst stacks of stupidity.