Physical Theatre with Dominique Fester
Discover theatre beyond words and engage with your body to create compelling physical theatre.
Holly Stoppit Workshops are delighted to be hosting a week-long summer school from experienced physical theatre teacher, Dominique Fester.
Dominique’s work is rooted in her belief that the language of the body and it’s visual impact are as important as text, and voice. This course will give you a physical grounding in the methods Dominique learned through her training at the Jacques Lecoq school in Paris, combined with her extensive experience of dance improv, comedy improv, clowning and fooling.
This course aims to increase your confidence and give you the skills to express yourself through your physicality, whilst providing you with the tools to devise work as part of an ensemble. You will be shaken out of your heads and into your bodies. Expect to stretch and use your muscles! At the end of the course you will feel alert and nourished, and have a clear expressive style as a physical theatre performer, with the additional ability to create short pieces of powerful theatre in groups.
Dominique has studied extensively with Holly Stoppit and has experienced first hand, the requirements of the training process. Expect additional insight into how this Physical Theatre training can be applied directly to your progression in Clowning and Fooling.
How will it pan out?
Over the five days we will explore the mechanics of movement; breaking down how the human body moves and improving our performance expertise. This will be a warmly held, pleasurable environment, where we develop a technique as a group, creating our own style by asking, “What’s working?” We will gently and joyfully discover and extend our natural co-ordination through dance improv exercises and physical theatre exercises including:
• Replay – the art of bringing dramatic storylines to everyday life. We will draw out your strength and flexibility and raise your heart rate.
• We will develop a palette of tools to work with, much like visual artists - exploring colours, the elements, fire, water; how to embody materials - the crunch of broken glass under-foot or the burst of a flock taking flight.
• We will explore rhythm - how a skipped heartbeat can change a whole meaning.
• Neutral Mask - the stripping down of our natural movement away from the quirks and habits we’ve developed towards a more simple, archetypal way of moving.
• Each day you will be challenged to create a piece of work in response to a theme, which will be performed in groups - a process known as Autocours (student investigation).
Expect joy and laughter!
Who is it for?
Anyone with an interest in devised and Improvised theatre and using their body to express themselves in performance. The training will add to and enhance the skills performers of all levels, and is open to people with a background in any movement / performance discipline who are interested in making theatre from physicality.
It is useful, though not essential if you have attended Holly Stoppit’s Introduction To Clowning, as we will be drawing from the shared experience of this during the course of the training.
Who is Dominique Fester?
Dominique Fester has been teaching and performing in physical theatre for over 15 years. She studied English and Drama at University of London, Contemporary Dance at Rubicon Cardiff, and trained at the Lecoq School in Paris where she learned advanced performance and theatre making. She specialises in delivering Lecoq-based Physical Theatre training in and around a Bristol, is currently in training to become a Psychotherapist at BCPC. She is a professional idiot in fooling ensemble; Beyond The Ridiculous run by Holly Stoppit.
August 2019 course details
- Dates: Monday 12 - Friday 16 August 2019
- Times: 10-6 each day.
- People: 12 max
- Venue: Central Bristol
- Deadline for applications: 7th June
- Application form: at the bottom of this page.
- Facebook event: here
- Cost: This workshop is part of Holly's 4-week summer school, you can attend however many weeks you like, discounts available for multiple weeks.
- 1 week: £350 std / £325 low income / £300 no income
- Any 3 weeks: £150 discount: £900 std / £825 low income / £750 no income
- All four weeks: £300 discount: £1100 std / £1000 low income / £900 no income.
- See the full summer school programme here.
BOOK A PLACE ON Physical Theatre with Dominique Fester
Bristol - August Summer School
12 August 2019 - 16 August 2019