Clown and Story
Discover what clowns do with story. Exploring clown storytelling, ensemble improvisation and story-based clown devising techniques.
This weekend course builds on Holly’s Introduction to Clowning weekend, but can also be adapted for a stand-alone course. This playful and exploratory weekend investigates how clowning and storytelling fit together. In this 2 day course we will:
- Re-enter the state of clown (immersing yourself in play, curiosity and wonder, remembering how to keep an audience laughing with rhythm and surprise)
- Explore ensemble improvisation, finding ways to support each other to take greater risks in clown improvisation.
- Discover what your clown likes to do with story, characters and themes.
- Respond to existing stories and make some up some of our own.
- Explore both verbal and non-verbal clowning.
- Laugh a lot.
- Discover ways to use story as the basis for devising or for clown impro.
What the people say:
“Very fun filled, joyful, social investigation into ways of making a clown, story show.”
“Fun, learning to be in the moment, playing with different rhythms, learning to flop and celebrating this, turning up the action and dropping, attuning to the audience, being creative, using the imagination, accepting suggestions and building on them, being part of an ensemble, using sound and movement, working with the development of story but not loosing sight of the audience”
“Holly intuited the feelings and needs of the group and shepherded us in directions that were fruitful for us. The structure is alive and adapting and I thoroughly dig that.”